For more than 35 years, QC Conveyors has been focused on providing our customers with reliable, easy to use conveyors systems that meet their needs and backing them up with world class service and support. Whether our customers are an end user looking to decrease their line’s downtime or an OEM putting our conveyor in a machine with their company name on it, QC Conveyors offers the quality, reliable product that our clients are looking for.
This position will be responsible for leading, designing, engineering, and developing conveyor equipment and systems by delivering a robust high performing product essential to our customer success. The expectation is that this role consistently develops and applies advanced theories, methods, and research techniques to the investigation and solution of electro-mechanical conveyor problems. The role leads and participates in projects involving the feasibility design, development, validation, and manufacture of complex conveyor subassemblies, systems, or processes.
• Effectively interact with distributors, customers, and QC Sales & Marketing to understand the Voice of Customer and translate it to technical specifications for QC product platforms.
• Create solutions for conveyor products and systems by leveraging a mechanical/electronic/computer technology expertise to design and develop novel engineering product solutions.
• Ability to model and analyze both mechanical designs and electronic control circuits for industrial conveyor systems.
• Experience in all phases of the engineering product development lifecycle from feasibility, design, development, validation, and production.
• Strong foundation in engineering theory and analysis including experimental verification and validation. A hands-on ability to design and execute test protocols that includes specification of sensors and data acquisition instrumentation, and statistical analysis.
• Ability to analyze electro-mechanical issues by reviewing mechanical drawings, electrical schematics and SW algorithms and devising tests to establish root-cause.
• Knowledge of electro-mechanical system designs which encompasses mechanical mechanisms, actuators, and sensors, programable logic controllers (PLCs), digital communications, & control panel electronics.
• Plan and direct major technical phases of projects by executing the technical direction and coaching engineers and technical support staff.
• Plans, organizes, and conducts technical project reviews.
• Investigate competitor and new engineering technologies that may threaten or improve the QC product portfolio.
• Thorough understanding of manufacturing tolerances and specified performance variability for mechanical and electrical components.
• Expertise in computer aided design of mechanical equipment and circuit diagrams.
• Familiarity with various types of motors: AC Brushless Servo, stepper etc.
• Experience implementing automation and controls in software and firmware.
• Experience implementing and debugging serial communication: Ethernet, SPI, I2C, RS-422 etc.
• Translates regulatory requirements into validation process. Creates efficient protocols for validation of complex system functions and defines validation process. Manage agency approvals and specifications such as UL, CE & NSF.
Coaching & Mentoring Skills
• Demonstrated track record of serving as a technical lead on an engineering team.
• Effective communication skills and ability to work cooperatively within a multidisciplinary team.
• Works well with engineers and representatives of other departments, supplies, customers in the design, evaluation and improvement of tools, methods, and processes for the company.
• Serves as a contributor, facilitator, consultant, technical expert, to meet the needs of the team and task.
• Ability to coach team members to perform assignments requiring a high degree of technical competence.
• May provide technical consultation to engineering staff through technical reviews and report generation to insure project completion.
• Makes timely and effective decisions, considers alternatives, uses sound judgment, achieves closure on work.
• Confronts issues in a constructive manner and at an appropriate organizational level.
• Evaluates risks of alternatives, recommend actions, and develop strategies to mitigate various scenarios as completed staff work.
• Advances recognized leading edge technologies in a technical field, fosters an environment of innovation in others.
• BS Mechanical Engineering degree with a domain knowledge in electro-mechanical systems.
• Minimum 8-10 years of experience material handling systems mechanical design
• 5 years of experience in the design and manufacture of electronically controlled mechanical devices/systems.
• Proficient with 3D CAD software. (Inventor, SolidWorks Solid Edge experience a plus)
• Experienced in Programable Logic Controllers, Electronic Relays, & electronic circuits.
• Must have excellent communication and organizational skills.
• Passion for learning and drive to master new technologies.
Nice to Have
• Advanced Degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering
• 6 Sigma Black Belt
• Pneumatic system design experience
QC Conveyors is an Equal Opportunity Employer
We offer a competitive base compensation, annual performance bonus, and a full benefits package including health, dental, vision, life & disability insurance, and a 401(k) plan with company match.